With fire season quickly approaching, Aztec Construction & Restoration is thinking about you and your family’s safety. Nobody ever imagines he/she will be a victim of a natural disaster, and an oncoming emergency is not always obvious or predictable. However, being prepared is easier than it sounds, and having an action plan gives your family some confidence when facing an unfortunate event.
BE AWARE OF YOUR AREA
- According to the Shasta County Sherriff’s office, some of the first steps to preparedness are finding out information about your local area. Learn about the disasters that are prevalent in your community and the warning signs in each case. For more details on a specific natural disaster, visit Ready.gov’s Natural Disasters article.
BE PREPARED AT HOME
- Put together, or buy pre-assembled, a basic emergency kit. FEMA, along with Ready.gov, has a recommended emergency kit list published here.
- Discuss with family what steps to take in an evacuation. For guidelines and great ideas go to the article form Ready.gov, “Evacuating Yourself and Your Family.”
- Select 2 places to meet:
- Right outside your home in case of a sudden emergency, like a fire.
- Outside your neighborhood in case you can’t return home. Everyone must memorize the address and phone number.
- Ask friend or family member to be your designated contact. After a disaster, it’s often easier to call long distance, so an out-of-state friend is a good option. All family members should call this person and tell him/her where they are. Everyone must know this contact’s phone number. Visit Ready.gov, Make A Plan, for the free emergency phone numbers list, including one listing numbers for children to memorize.
- In addition to personal contacts in your action plan, the Red Cross suggests including another option to contact your family, “If your community has experienced a disaster, register on the American Red Cross Safe and Well website to let your family and friends know you are safe. You may also call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) and select the prompt for ‘Disaster’ to register yourself and your family.”
After a disaster, you will need further assistance in getting your home or property back up to standards. Call Aztec Construction & Restoration 530-275-3327 – we are here to help, and really care about you and your family’s well-being.
[Images source: https://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/images/113279]